[email protected] 02031500840
PXW-FX9 4K FF CAMERA
£220.00 | Book for 7 days for the price of 3
- Sony’s incredible FX9 heralds a completely new Full Frame 35mm sensor, recording an over-sampled 4K image which provides greatly improved images over the FS7.
- Capable of recording XAVC-I, XAVC-L and Mpeg HD onto XQD cards. By utilising the same S-Cinetone gamma curve as Sony’s flagship camera the Venice, the FX9 has an increased dynamic range and skin tones over the standard Rec709 look, for more broadcast ready look.
- Dual Native ISO of 800 & 4000, Internal Variable ND, 15 Stops of Dynamic Range, Timecode in/out, Wifi for monitoring and menu changes through the appropriate Sony App.
- One of the most impressive new additional features on the FX9 is the incredible auto-focus, with face detection for up to eight faces!
Day based pricing : PXW-FX9 4K FF CAMERA
Join our Pro Sessions webinars
Interactive sessions with Sony experts, leading filmmakers and their crews to get behind the scenes tips.
6K Full-Frame “Exmor R” sensor for stunning picture quality
The back-illuminated full-frame 6K CMOS sensor uses Sony’s Exmor R technology for improved sensitivity and reduced noise. When recording at DCI 4K*, Ultra HD resolutions the ability to oversample and capture at 6K, combined with powerful image processing, ensures that subtle details and textures beyond those that can be captured by a conventional 4K sensor are retained while at the same time noise is reduced.
Compared to a 4K Super 35mm sensor, the FX9’s 6K sensor has over twice the surface area, providing a wider angle of view, making it easier to gain a shallower depth of field. You can also shoot with Super 35mm lenses without compromise, capturing at 4K in super 35mm with all the benefits of this advanced imaging sensor.
*DCI 4K (4096 x 2160 at 17:9 recording) requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
4K Super 35
Super35 17:9 mode with PXW-FS7M2.
Full-frame 17:9 mode with PXW-FX9.
Phenomenal 15+ stops dynamic range for limitless expression
FX9 offers an exceptional 15+ stops of dynamic range – allowing for unprecedented creative freedom in colour grading and post. Camera operators can concentrate on framing the scene they want while relying upon the FX9 to capture every nuance and detail using either 4K 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording or 16-bit RAW external recording.* In grading, colourists can find colour and detail beyond the normal viewing abilities of the camera operator to create a final image that exactly portrays the mood of the scene.
* RAW recording requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware, XDCA-FX9 and external recorder.
Cinematic colour science with S-Cinetone™
S-Cinetone is the default look of FX9 that’s tuned to meet the requirements of today’s content creators with rich mid-range colours, alluring facial tones and a softer tonal look – developed with the same expertise as Sony’s world-leading VENICE digital cinematography camera. S-Cinetone means that straight out of the camera your content looks fresh and vivid, with subjects that really stand out while retaining plenty of latitude in post production thanks to the high performance full-frame image sensor.
Accelerate your workflow with User 3D Luts and HLG*
User Created 3D LUTs make it easy to customise FX9’s look to your preferences. It is possible to import LUTs files from an SD card and store up to 16 files on the FX9’s internal memory and switch between them as needed. This is particularly useful for shooting in S-Log3, allowing you to preview on camera whatever custom look you create.
FX9 can record HDR using S-Log3 or Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)*.
- S-Log3 is optimized for premium applications, capturing the maximum dynamic range from a sensor and providing ultimate creative freedom when colour grading
- HLG* delivers content quickly without additional colour grading making it an ideal choice for day-to-day shooting, viewing and editing workflows
*Ver.2.0 or higher firmware required
Selectable frame rates for full-frame, Super 35 and Super 16
Choose your desired frame-rate from 1fps up to 180fps* for impressive quick and slow motion footage. FX9 creates an immersive image with a wide-angle look and shallower depth of field provided by its full-frame sensor in combination with quick and slow motion. Engage your audience with this new creative look. FX9 also offers a Quality priority setting** that maximizes full HD image quality using full-frame 6K scan mode or Super 35 4K scan mode with advanced oversampling technology. With Ver.3 firmware, FX9 also supports Super 16 scan mode*** and enables B4 lens control (requires optional LA-EB1 and XDCA-FX9 for lens DC supply) with ALAC****(Auto Lens Aberration Compensation). Imager scan area can be switched with Assign button that works like a digital extender.
Super 35 2K imager scan mode prioritizes frame rates, so image quality may be reduced depending on the shooting environment. In this instance, below settings are recommended.
- Cine EI mode: Set EI gain lower and exposure level higher instead
- Custom/SDR mode: Choose the gamma category setting of Original (S-Cinetone) or STD (STD1 to 6)
*Up to 120fps with Ver1.0. Full-HD 180fps requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
**In full-frame scanning mode: selectable at 1–30fps/in super 35 scanning mode: selectable at 1–60fps. Quality priority setting is recommended if desired framerate is available.
*** Requires V3 or higher, AF performance at S16 2K mode is not same as other imager mode
**** Lens should support ALAC function.
|Imager Scan Mode||Recording Resolution||1-30p||31-60p||100,120p||150,180p|
|Super 35||DCI 4K
1 Requires Ver.2.0 firmware or higher.
2 Requires Ver.2.0 firmware or higher. Scanning area is cropped around 83% of full-frame and 122% larger than S35. (diagonal)
3 Requires Ver.3.0 firmware or higher.
RAW output using XDCA-FX9
|Imager Scan Mode||Output Resolution||1-30p||31-60p||100,120p||150,180p|
|Super 35||DCI 4K
|Super 35||DCI 2K
|Super 16||DCI 2K
1 Scanning area is cropped around 83% of full-frame and 122% larger than S35. (diagonal)
2 Limited to 10-bit during 100, 120fps high frame rate shooting.
3 This requires Ver.2.1 firmware or higher.
4 Requires Ver.3.0 firmware or higher.
Catch the action with enhanced Fast Hybrid AF
Effortlessly track fast moving subjects with pin-sharp focus, even when using wide lens aperture settings to maintain a shallow depth of field with the camera’s full-frame sensor. Developed by Sony’s ? camera engineers, enhanced Fast Hybrid AF combines phase detection AF for fast, accurate subject tracking with contrast AF for exceptional focus accuracy. In addition, Face Detection intelligently recognises and locks on to human faces.
The dedicated 561-point phase detection AF sensor covers approximately 94% of the whole image area width and 96% of height, allowing consistently accurate, responsive AF tracking, even with fast-moving subjects.
Eye AF and Real-time Tracking*
FX9 is the world’s first professional camcorder with Sony’s world-leading eye tracking technology**. High speed, high precision image processing maintains a pin-sharp focus. During an interview or portraiture shoot, you can rely upon Eye AF to capture your subject’s most subtle expressions while you concentrate on the interview and framing. Simply turn on Face or Eye AF priority for seamless AI-based tracking.
Using Real-time Tracking you can simply touch a subject on the viewfinder, or select a face with FX9 joystick, and the camera will track and maintain focus automatically.
*Eye AF requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware. Real-time Tracking requires Ver.3.0 or higher firmware.
**As of Apr 2020.
Customisable AF settings
FX9’s comprehensive autofocus settings provide the creative flexibility to integrate with any project.
7-level AF transition speeds from Fast – switching between subjects as quickly as possible – to Slow, where speed is reduced to fit a more measured shooting style, such as a historical TV drama.
5-level AF subject shift sensitivity ranges from Locked-on – ignoring other moving subjects in the frame – to Responsive that switches focus from one subject to another – ideal for snapping between race cars as they speed by.
Autofocus with Sony E-mount lenses
Experience smooth, responsive autofocus with every Sony E-mount lens, including Sony’s Cinema Lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G with premium optical performance and operability for demanding cinematography applications. Advanced E-mount lever lock operation allows quick, easy lens exchange in the field, plus added stability and security with large lenses.
View FX9 compatible lenses from Sony >
*Image shows E-mount lens line-up as of September 2019.
World’s first electronic variable ND filter for full-frame sensor*
Realise even greater creative control with Sony’s unique built-in electronic variable neutral density (ND) filter – a world first* for professional full-frame camcorders. Set to Auto, or adjust filter density manually in smooth increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot, for perfectly exposed images without affecting depth of field as lighting conditions change. Use higher density settings with a slower shutter speed for breathtaking artistic effects.
*As of September 2019
Proven ergonomics & accessory compatibility
FX9 chassis is the latest refinement of the revolutionary FS7 design, so you can be sure it will feel great to shoot with from almost any position, while also offering compatibility with a large proportion of the countless FS7 accessories including U-series batteries, chargers, E-mount lenses, plus arms and lens adapters.*
The control arm is easily adjusted without tools, so FX9 adapts effortlessly to your physique and preferred shooting style – handheld, at waist level or shoulder mounted. The smart grip also features an updated design, more compact than before while still holding all the key shooting controls, allowing you to concentrate on the scene without distractions. FX9 also introduces a micro USB interface for improved responsiveness and support for a wrist strap.
To withstand the rigors of real-world shooting, FX9 has a robust magnesium chassis which is almost one third lighter than aluminum equivalent, while offering high impact resistance. FX9’s buttons, dials and other parts are sealed to prevent dust and water spray from entering for even greater operational reliability.**
*BP-U30 and XDCA-FS7 are not compatible with the FX9.
**Dust and water resistance does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with dust and water.
Quick menu control with touch operation*
The FX9’s LCD Viewfinder has a quick access control menu for commonly accessed features. With a single touch, you can press to change key settings including:
- Codec, Imager Scan mode, Picture Size and frequency.
- Base ISO/Sensitivity
- Shooting Mode
- Audio Levels
Introduced with V2 firmware, the FX9’s quick access control menu uses a similar UI to Sony’s acclaimed VENICE digital cinematography camera.
*Requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
4K Multi-Camera Remote Operation
PXW-FX9 supports S700 Protocol over Ethernet* for simple, easy-to-operate multi-camera operation for local events and TV studio production. The optional XDCA-FX9 Extension Unit with RJ45 jack can take S700 Protocol control via Ethernet from a single RCP** unit or you can control multiple FX9s with a PoE Switch using one RCP per FX9. A/V output over SDI can be routed via a standard SDI switcher and a monitor such as the PVM-X2400 can display up to four HD inputs simultaneously.
*V3 or higher firmware required.
**Availability depends on region.
Beautifully matched shooting partners
Optimised for professional cinematography applications, the light, compact, SELP28135G powered zoom lens is an ideal complement for the full frame imaging possibilities of the FX9.
- Circular aperture with full-frame image circle format
- Motorised servo zoom for smooth, precise zoom moves
- Independent three rings for focus, zoom and iris with smooth, silent drive
You have the choice of purchasing the FX9 on its own (PXW-FX9) or with SELP28135G lens (PXW-FX9K).
Adds shoulder-style operation, advanced networking
Further extend the capabilities of the FX9 with the optional XDCA-FX9 extension unit that optimises camera weight distribution and ergonomics for comfortable shoulder-style shooting – ideal for ENG (Electronic News Gathering) and documentary applications. The extension unit also adds advanced networking for streaming/file transfers and Timecode for multi-camera shoots.
4-channel audio input and recording
FX9 offers superb audio capabilities with independent control dials for each channel. In applications such as interview, 4-channel audio recording enables simultaneous use of an external microphone for recording ambient sounds, the built-in microphone for voice memos by the operator, and two optional UWP Series wireless microphones for voice of interviewer and interviewee. In addition, using the optional XLR-K3M, XLR-K2M or XLR-K1M XLR adapter – with two extra XLR inputs – allows even more devices to be connected.
Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
Sony’s flexible Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching with compatible Sony accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony UWP-D wireless microphone systems (optional).
Networked for high mobility
The FX9 features internal 5GHz* and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi capability as standard. Just switch on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
- Content Browser Mobile™** allows the PXW-FX9 to be controlled remotely from a smartphone or tablet computer via a Wi-Fi connection. Adjust the exposure level, zoom, Record/Stop and more via your mobile device – it’s ideal for single operator shoots. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones offering NFC connectivity
- FTP Transfer allows content files to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server even while shooting. In case of signal interruption, the system will automatically resume as soon as connection restored
- Trimming allows you to set start and end points in a clip, eliminating time-wasting transfers of unneeded content
- C3 Portal*** can upload high-res and proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. Production teams can even start logging clips while shooting is still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story’s breaking
- Wired LAN port with optional XDCA-FX9 allows connection of the FX9 to the Internet with a standard Ethernet cable, allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP
- Dual Link Cellular is enabled with optional XDCA-FX9 and uses two cellular networks in combination to provide an even more reliable network connection. FX9 is compatible with standard USB cellular dongles from most networks. (Please check for most appropriate service provider for your region. Standard network fees will apply.)
- High quality Sony QoS Streaming to Network RX Station (optional) and C3 Portal*** by Sony allows images to be streamed live for viewing at a remote location
* 5GHz support dependent on country/regional regulation. Only PXW-FX9V/9VK support 5GHz.
*** Requires Ver.3.0 or higher firmware. C3 Portal is available in specific countries.